Location: Abha International Airport, Asir Province
Event: Media report a missile hit Abha International Airport. The U.S. Embassy in Riyadh and Consulates General in Jeddah and Dhahran are monitoring the situation.
Actions to Take: Monitor local news and review safety procedures in case of missile or drone engagements: https://sa.usembassy.gov/security-alert-u-s-mission-saudi-arabia-safety-procedures-case-missile-strikes/
During an Incident
- Immediately seek shelter or some form of protective cover.
- Go to the most secure area on the lowest level of your current location with the fewest exterior walls, windows, and openings.
- Close the door of the room.
- Sit on the floor near an interior wall, away from any windows.
- If you do not have time to take shelter in a building or find protective cover: Lie down and cover your head with your hands to provide some protection from debris.
After the Incident:
- If you are in need of urgent medical care and/or an immediate police response, call the appropriate emergency number for Saudi Arabia: Police – 999, Civil Defense/Fire – 998, Ambulance – 997.
- Account for the whereabouts and safety of family members and inform loved ones that you are safe.
- Do not approach missile debris or fragments under any circumstances. Instead, immediately move away from the object(s) to a safe location. Fumes from hot or burning missiles can be harmful. Some missile debris may include unexploded ordnance or corrosive fuel.
- Monitor major news outlets, official information sources such as the Saudi Press Agency and the Saudi Civil Defense Directorate (in Arabic), as well as the Mission’s American Citizen Services (ACS) Twitter feed and website. Keep in mind that initial media reporting, and especially social media commentary, may be inaccurate.
U.S. Embassy Riyadh
Abdullah Ibn Hudhafah As Sahmi Street Roundabout no. 9, Diplomatic Quarter Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (11) 488-3800
Emergency Telephone: (966) (11) 488-3800
Fax: (966) (11) 488-7670
U.S. Consulate General Jeddah
Falasteen Street intersecting with Al-Andalus Street, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (12) 667-0080
Emergency Telephone: (966) (12) 667-0080
Fax: (966) (12) 669-3098
U.S. Consulate General Dhahran
Between KFUPM and King Abdulaziz Airbase, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (13) 330-3200
Emergency Telephone: (966) (13) 330-3200
Fax: (966) (13) 330-6816
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs (Washington, DC)
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Saudi Arabia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Twitter (@KSA_ACS)