Security Alert – U. S. Mission Saudi Arabia – September 14, 2019
Location: Abqaiq and Khurais, Eastern Province
Event: Fires at Saudi Aramco oil facilities at Abqaiq and Khurais, 75 kilometers and 280 kilometers, respectively, south west of Dhahran. The official Saudi press agency has stated that the fires were caused by drone attacks. Saudi authorities are bringing the fires under control according to media reports. The U.S. Mission is unaware of any injuries to American citizens.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the fires until further notice.
- Monitor local news and review safety procedures in case of missile or drone attack.
- In the event of an attack, immediately seek shelter or some form of protective cover.
- Go to the most secure area on the lowest level of your current location with the fewest exterior walls, windows, and openings.
- Close the door of the room.
- Sit on the floor near an interior wall, away from any windows.
If you do not have time to take shelter in a building or find protective cover:
- Lie down and cover your head with your hands to provide some protection from debris.
After the Incident:
- If you are in need of urgent medical care and/or an immediate police response, call the local emergency number for Saudi Arabia (Police – 999) Civil Defense/Fire – 998, (Ambulance – 997).
- Account for the whereabouts and safety of family members and inform loved ones that you are safe.
- Do NOT approach missile or drone debris or fragments under any circumstances. Instead, immediately move away from the object(s) to a safe location.
- Monitor major news outlets, official information sources such as the Saudi Press Agency and the Saudi Civil Defense Directorate (in Arabic), as well as the Mission’s American Citizens Services (ACS) Twitter feeds and website for updates and information. Keep in mind that initial media reporting, and especially social media commentary, may be contain inaccurate information.
U.S. Embassy Riyadh
Abdullah Ibn Hudhafah As Sahmi Street
Roundabout no. 9, Diplomatic Quarter
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (11) 488-3800
Emergency Telephone: (966) (11) 488-3800
Fax: (966) (11) 488-7670
U.S. Consulate General Jeddah
Falasteen Street intersecting with Al-Andalus Street,
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (12) 667-0080
Emergency Telephone: (966) (12) 667-0080
Fax: (966) (12) 669-3098
U.S. Consulate General Dhahran
Between KFUPM and King Abdulaziz Airbase,
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (13) 330-3200
Emergency Telephone: (966) (13) 330-3200
Fax: (966) (13) 330-6816
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs (Washington, DC)
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Saudi Arabia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts
Follow us on Twitter (@KSA_ACS)