If you can answer YES to the following criteria, you are eligible to renew your adult passport by mail:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book was issued.
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago.
- My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration.
- The U.S. passport book that I am renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost or stolen.
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting a relevant marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application.)
- I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in Saudi Arabia.
- I am only applying for a passport book (I am not applying for a passport card).
- I can be without my U.S. passport for 3-4 weeks. While the passport application is undergoing processing, the Department of State will have your passport.
If you do not meet these criteria please see Adults (age 16 and older) application in-person for instructions on making an appointment to submit a passport application in-person at the Embassy or consulate.
Required Mail-in Documents
If you answered YES to all the above statements, please submit:
- Your current or expired U.S. Passport book. (no exceptions)
- Form DS-82 passport application, completed (in English), signed & dated
- You are required to use the Passport Wizard to complete your application. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
- Social Security numbers (SSN) are required on all passport applications (Box No. 5 on DS-82 application). If you have never been issued a Social Security number, you MUST submit a signed and dated “Declaration of No Social Security Number” in addition to your application.
- One recent (less than 6 months old) passport sized (5cm x 5cm) photograph. See our photo requirements here.
- Payment: Either proof of payment via U.S. government’s secure online payment site, Pay.gov (made in USD) or cashier’s check in Saudi Riyals.
Passport application fees:
- $130 USD or 494 SAR for Passport Book (only) — OR —
- $160 USD or 608 SAR for Passport Book and Passport Card
Payment via U.S. government’s secure payment site, Pay.gov
Pay the $130 passport book application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site, Pay.gov. Follow instructions to complete your “DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Application – Fee Payment Form” via U.S. Bank account (ACH), credit or debit card, Amazon account, or PayPal account. After successfully paying the $130 USD fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you submit. Note: Online fee payment is currently available for passport book renewals only. You cannot pay for a Passport Card via secure electronic payment.
Cashier’s check in Saudi Riyals
We accept cashier’s checks issued by any bank in Saudi Arabia. Checks must be issued in Saudi Riyals and must be made payable to the “U.S. Disbursing Officer, Symbol 8768.” If you wish to pay by U.S. postal money order, you do not have to make an online payment. Please include the U.S. postal money order with your application when you mail it in.
Passport Delivery (Mail-Back) Service via SMSA
Take advantage of fast and convenient passport delivery services via SMSA! Once your renewed U.S. passport arrives at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General at which you applied, it will be mailed back to you via SMSA. To ensure successful mail back service, provide current and accurate mailing address, mobile number, and email address on your Adult Passport Renewal application (DS-82).
The processing time for a new passport is generally 3-4 weeks, after which delivery of the new passport will take 24 hours within the geographic areas of Riyadh, Jeddah, Dhahran, Hail, and Qassim. Passport deliveries in all other geographic areas of Saudi Arabia will take 48-72 hours.
You can check the status of your passport delivery using the tracking number provided by SMSA by visiting http://www.smsaexpress.com/trackingnumber.html.
SMSA courier fee must be paid directly to SMSA:
- Adult Passport Renewal by Mail-In: 80 SAR
- Return delivery service (all applicants): 80 SAR
Please provide the following addresses to SMSA if requested:
U.S. Embassy, Riyadh
ACS Unit, Consular Section
P.O. Box: 94309
U.S. Consulate, Jeddah
ACS Unit, Consular Section
P.O. Box: 149
U.S. Consulate, Dhahran
ACS Unit, Consular Section
P.O. Box 805
Al Khobar 31952
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about passport renewal by mail:
Question: Who is eligible to renew their passport by mail?
Answer: You may be eligible to apply via online payment if you are an adult (16 years and older), who already has a 10-year U.S. passport book issued no more than 15 years ago. You also must have a mailing address in Saudi Arabia.
Question: Can minors (younger than 16 years) renew by mail?
Answer: No. Mail-in renewal is only available for adults (16 and older). Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves.
Question: What if I don’t have a passport book because it was lost or stolen? Can I still mail my application in?
Answer: No. You will need to apply for a new passport in-person at the U.S. Embassy or a consulate.
Question: How long will it take to receive my passport in the mail?
Answer: Mail-in passport renewals take 3-4 weeks, the Department’s current processing time for routine service. If you have a need for immediate international travel, we may be able to issue you a limited validity emergency passport that will be valid for one year. Please make an appointment and come to the Embassy or nearest consulate in person. We are unable to process requests for expedited service through the online payment process via Pay.gov.
For Your Awareness
- Mail-in passport renewals take 3-4 weeks. Plan your travel accordingly.
- Old passports will be canceled and returned with the newly issued passport.
- The mail-in application option cannot be expedited.
- We recommend you make copies of your passport and Saudi visa and carry a copy on you while your passport is being renewed, especially if you do not have an iqama.
- The online fee payment option is currently available for passport book renewals only (i.e. you cannot apply and pay for a passport card via online fee payment).