The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), in consultation with relevant Departments and Agencies, has determined it is prudent to enhance security, to include airport security procedures for passengers at certain last point of departure airports to the United States. These enhancements include more stringent measures applied to 10 specific airports, to include King Abdul-Aziz and King Khalid International Airports.
The enhancement in security will require that all personal electronic devices (PEDs) larger than a cell phone or smart phone be placed in checked baggage. Approved medical devices may be brought into the cabin after additional screening.
Airlines were notified on March 21 at 08:00 EDT. They have 96 hours within which to comply. For more information on these security enhancements, please contact your air carrier or visit the Department of Homeland Security website.
For further information:
- U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the U.S. Department of State’s, Bureau of Consular Affairs website, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts and Warnings, and Saudi Arabia Country Specific Information can be found.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter @KSA_ACS and @TravelGov as well as the U.S. Mission Saudi Arabia and Bureau of Consular Affairs Facebook pages.
- You can also contact U.S. Embassy Riyadh at (966) (11) 488-3800, the U.S. Consulate General Dhahran at (966) (13) 330-3200, or the U.S. Consulate General Jeddah at (966) (12) 667-0080 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm local time in Saudi Arabia, Sunday through Thursday for routine inquiries, and outside of regular business hours, at the same numbers to reach a duty officer for assistance with emergency cases.
- In addition, travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or outside the United States and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).