Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, December 28, 2020
Location: Saudi international airports, and land and sea ports
Event: In response to the new strain of COVID-19, on December 27, the government of Saudi Arabia announced a one-week extension of its travel-related restrictions. The restrictions, originally announced on December 21, extended the suspension, except in exceptional cases, of all international flights for travelers, including entry to the Kingdom through land and sea ports.
Additionally, the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) Circular No. 4/34761, published on December 27, stated that airlines are permitted to carry non-Saudi passengers outside the Kingdom subject to certain restrictions. However, airlines coming from countries where the new strain of COVID-19 has appeared will not be permitted. The announcement did not give additional information on inbound flights into Saudi Arabia.
Actions to Take:
- Stay abreast of local news and information concerning travel restrictions.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions. Please note that while you may be able to make an online purchase for a flight, flights may not be guaranteed for departure and your flight may still be cancelled.
- Most U.S. citizens who are in Saudi Arabia on visit visas (business or family visit) will not have additional exit requirements but must depart the Kingdom before the expiration of the authorized period of stay. You can request a visa extension via the Ministry of the Interior website or in person through the General Directorate of Passports (Jawazat).
- Consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest COVID-related travel information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Saudi Arabia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Riyadh
Abdullah Ibn Hudhafah As Sahmi Street Roundabout no. 9, Diplomatic Quarter Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (11) 488-3800
Emergency Telephone: (966) (11) 488-3800
Fax: (966) (11) 488-7670
U.S. Consulate General Jeddah
Al Safa Street, Al Muhammadiyah District, near the new American School building.
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Phone: (966) (12) 220-5000
Emergency Telephone: (966) (12) 220-5000
Fax: (966) (12) 220-5093
U.S. Consulate General Dhahran
Between KFUPM and King Abdulaziz Airbase, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (13) 330-3200
Emergency Telephone: (966) (13) 330-3200
Fax: (966) (13) 330-6816
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.