Message for U.S. Citizens – September 17, 2020
Location: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Event: The Government of Saudi Arabia announced changes effective September 15 that allow holders of current residence permits (iqamas) with a valid entry/exit visa as well as holders of a valid business or visit visa to enter (including exit and re-enter) Saudi Arabia.
The government has lifted the suspension of entry into the Kingdom, and those authorized to enter may do so via international flight or land border. The Saudi General Authority of Civil Aviation issued a downloadable Passenger Guide with detailed guidance for air travelers. For example, a negative COVID test is required within 48 hours before entry to Saudi Arabia. Please review the guide for detailed requirements and information.
A limited number of airlines, including Saudia and Lufthansa, are flying reduced schedules. Potential passengers should contact airlines directly for information on flight options. Saudia has provided updated call center contact information for booking these flights: 966-14-847-9748/966-14-847-9531 or WhatsApp 966-55-6733500.
Prospective travelers should consider Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance on international travel during the COVID-19 pandemic and review health conditions at their final destination and possible layover points. The CDC advises travelers from Saudi Arabia to self-isolate for 14 days after they arrive in the United States.
The Government of Saudi Arabia has announced that the complete lifting of restrictions on entering and exiting the Kingdom and resumption of all means of transport through land, sea and airports will occur after January 1, 2021 and will be announced at least 30 days ahead of the opening.
Actions to Take:
- Register in STEP and encourage other Americans to do so.
- Complete any Saudi exit permit/visa formalities if you wish to travel.
- Cooperate with public policies designed to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- Stay abreast of local news and information concerning travel restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Saudi Arabia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest restrictions on travel to the United States.
For Assistance Contact:
U.S. Embassy Riyadh
Abdullah Ibn Hudhafah As Sahmi Street Roundabout no. 9
Diplomatic Quarter Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (11) 488-3800
Fax: (966) (11) 488-7670
U.S. Consulate General Jeddah
Al Safa Street, Al Muhammadiyah District, near the new American School building.
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (12) 220-5000
Fax: (966) (12) 220-5093
U.S. Consulate General Dhahran
Between KFUPM and King Abdulaziz Airbase
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Telephone: (966) (13) 330-3200
Fax: (966) (13) 330-6816
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Saudi Arabia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.